How to Report an Accident
Mississippi is one of the states that requires an accident report to be filed within a certain timeline if an accident meets a certain list of requirements, including $250 worth of property damage and any injuries. This must be filed within 10 days of the accident.
What to Include
The Mississippi Bar Association encourages several different things for filling out your accident report. However, the law does not require a police officer to be present when filling this out or at the scene for any minor single-vehicle accidents, although you may want to call for your records. You can request these reports on the Department of Public Safety’s website, but keep in mind that you will have to pay a fee and select which agency or precinct it goes through.
Here is what you should be including in your report:
- Where the accident took place.
- Who or what was involved.
- Any names and addresses of witnesses.
- Videos or photos from during the accident or damages.
- Your first hand account of what happened.
You may also be asked to include any insurance and registration information. Aside from this report, there are a couple things you will want to keep in mind:
- You can be charged with a misdemeanor and fined or serve jail time for any fraudulent information in the report.
- The MSBar warns against admitting fault when reporting.
- Failure to report more serious accidents within the 10 days can also result in a misdemeanor charge.
Aside from the legal ramifications that could result from not reporting, having an accident report helps the insurance companies determine fault. It also leaves a paper trail in case of any legal disputes that may arise over time. If this does happen, however, you will want to make sure that you hire an experienced car accident attorney.
Starkville’s Premier Accident Attorney
Vollor Law Firm, P.A. is well known in Starkville and Vicksburg for our dedication to recovering thousands of dollars in damages for clients. We provide compassionate and aggressive representation, so that you have peace of mind in knowing that your case is being handled.
If you or a loved one is recovering from a car accident injury, contact our office today. You can schedule a free consultation by visiting our website or calling (662) 269-6188.