Slip & Fall Attorneys in Starkville
Premises Liability Lawyers Serving Northern Mississippi
All property owners are responsible for maintaining their property in a safe condition. A property owner or manager should fix any visible problems before anyone is invited to their property, whether for business or personal reasons. If you have been injured due to a slip and fall accident, you have legal rights and may have grounds for a lawsuit.
In order to hold a property owner responsible for a slip and fall incident, we must prove that they were aware of the situation and failed to fix it, which was then the direct cause of your accident. Fortunately, our Starkville slip and fall accident attorneys understand what you are going through and are prepared to fight on your behalf.
Common Causes of Slip & Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are often caused by:
- Wet/slick floors
- Debris after a spill
- Loose handrails/steps
- Lack of warnings
- Uneven sidewalks/floors
- Inadequate lighting
- Inadequate security
- Construction defects
The types of injuries suffered in these accidents range in severity and may include head injuries, brain trauma, broken bones, and spinal cord damage. Regardless of your exact injury, you are likely facing mounting medical bills, time out of work, and other emotional and physical hardships. We want to help you pursue justice and obtain the compensation you deserve.
What to do after a Slip and Fall Accident
If you are injured from a slip and fall accident, there are a few important things that should be done right away. Proving liability in a slip and fall claim is often complicated, so taking the time to complete the following steps will give you the best chance at proving the injury was not your fault.
Seven critical things to do after a slip and fall accident include:
- Get medical treatment as quickly as possible. If you are truthfully injured after slipping and falling, having medical documentation is crucial to your claim. It will help to prove the timing of your injuries, showing that it was caused by the slip and fall.
- Report your slip and fall to a manager or owner of the property where the accident occurred within 24 hours of the incident. A written report should be completed and you have the right to request a copy. Do not complete any portion of the report yourself - this should be completed only by the manager or the owner of the property.
- Take photos of the area where the slip and fall occurred. Take note of any conditions that caused you to fall in the first place. Was the floor wet? Was a store display in the walkway? Was there ice or a poorly maintained floor or parking lot? Be sure to act quickly, before any evidence is removed or cleaned up.
- Identify any witnesses. If they are willing, write down statements to help strengthen your claim. Your Starkville slip and fall attorney may want to follow up with witnesses to get further details.
- Do not give any statements to the property owner, manager, or insurance companies. Don't place any blame and don't take any. At this point, it's important to remain neutral so your legal team can properly handle your claim.
- Avoid posting any details on social media. In this day and age of over-sharing, it's important to remember you have a legal case and anything you post on social media can have a negative effect on your claim. Refrain from posting anything on social media outlets.
- Hire an injury lawyer you can trust to handle your claim. Self-representation with a slip and fall injury claim is not recommended. An experienced injury attorney will help you create a strong claim that will help you get the full compensation that you need to fully recover.
Helping Injured Individuals Across Northern Mississippi
Whether you were hurt on a private or public property, you deserve to hold the responsible party accountable. If you believe that an irresponsible or negligent property owner is to blame for your slip and fall accident, Vollor Law Firm, P.A. can help. Our Mississippi slip and fall attorneys have recovered millions for our clients over the years we have been in practice. We are not afraid to go to trial to fight for your best interests.